Adidja Palmer, professionally known as Vybz Kartel, has written a letter to Mutabaruka voicing his concerns regarding his trial, which he believes was dealt with unfairly. As per Kartel’s wishes, Mutabaruka read the letter to the public and the audio was reshared on Youtube. Allan ‘Mutabaruka’ Hope began reading the letter from the incarcerated deejay, which started off by detailing him being arrested and charged with the murder of Barrington Burton in 2011,
“In 2011, I was charged for murder by way of a statement, which indicated that I had ordered McDonald to murder Barrington ‘Bossie’ Burton,” he read. The letter details that the witness later gave a statement to the public defender, indicating that he was “physically harassed and threatened by the police” to say that Kartel was involved in the murder of Burton. The witness later issued another statement to the public defender, explaining that after he recanted the first statement, he started to receive death threats from individuals calling his phone.
The letter continued to detail that some days after the first murder charge, Kartel was also charged with the murder of Clive ‘Lizard’ Williams. The letter added that a senior superintendent, who had been previously “charged with attempting to pervert the course of justice in a separate incident,” had claimed that the police had more evidence, which came back negative seven months later.
“They also led the public to believe that they had a video of me and my co-accused murdering Williams. I would also like to add that the police made a lot of damaging remarks against me. A most notable one would be ‘since his arrest, the community is a safer place’,” the letter continued.
Mutaburka read that the “Caribbean Search Task” completed a search at Gun Court Remand Center on November 4, 2011. The Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) and the Jamaica Defence Force (JDF), along with the officers at the prison, conducted the operation on Kartel’s cell block. According to the letter, that particular prison block had three prison cells, including Kartel’s cell. A phone battery was reportedly seized from the prison cell neighbouring Kartel’s cell.
“Following the search, I was remanded to the Horizon Remand Centre that same day,” the letter added. Kartel explained that he was “charged with attempting to pervert the course of justice” four days later, and the police indicated to his lawyer that a phone was discovered in his cell. According to the letter, another search was conducted by the “Caribbean Search Team” when he was at the Horizon Remand Centre on January 22, 2013, but nothing was found inside his prison cell.
However, three phones were seized from another cell, and one phone was found in a different cell. Kartel wrote that he was presented a document by his attorney, Valerie Neita Robertson, on February 16, 2013. He said the document, which was “produced in a bail hearing by the prosecutor and signed by a high-ranking member of the JCF,” stated that three cell phones were found inside his cell on January 22.
“My bail was denied based mainly on this blatant lie by the high-ranking police,” he read. Kartel said that he is demanding that “human rights organisations” investigate these events that unfolded on November 4, 2011, and January 22, 2013. Furthermore, he explained that he had also written twice to the Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) regarding what happened during the search operations. He also expressed that everything that has happened in his case is “pure fabrication.”